Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Incomplete Woman


Am I less of a woman because I cannot forsake my maiden name to take on my husband's?
Am I less of a woman because I cannot love my husband more than my parents? Am I less than a perfect woman because I cannot let black beads, red vermilion and red bangles become my identity? Or because I wonder why I need to make rotis to make my place in the home, because my affections are not tied to ladles and woks in the kitchen?!

Am I incomplete because I've not learnt to sacrifice simply because I'm a woman? To want to give up my work and my life to bring another into this world? Am I less of a woman because I can't shut up? Or talk only of the hearth and home, of little pink frocks and blue nickers? Because I don't understand why my lacy underwear should be hidden in my bathroom, away from everyone's eyes, like some dirty little secret?

Perhaps, I am less than the perfect daughter, wife, sister and bahu because I don't know how to fit into labels. Because I toss and turn in bed at night thinking why this was so and that wasn't. Because I'm not coy and shy, nor needing to be protected or fed or looked after. Am I the woman who makes a man uncomfortable?

6 comments:

Purva said...

NO. None of these make you less of a woman. Rather these make you a more perfect one. Live life with no regrets n guilts...Cheers!

Happy living :)

Ankit said...

BE yourself!

Anonymous said...

hey girl....i hope things get better for you. you seem to be strong. none of those things make you less of a woman. the people who object to you being 'you' are less of humans i feel. i wish people were more broad minded and receptive of the changing times. all the best

Sam said...

nopes... these things wud be too much only for teh narrow minded individual..... as simple as dat.. u r perfect the was u r!! stay dat way!!

D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shail said...

Why should the definition of a woman be tied down to those parameters?? Don't fit into labels. Be who you are, yourself.